Earlier today, Nintendo hosted their final Direct regarding their much anticipated upcoming 5th instalment in the long running Super Smash Bros. series! Did they reveal every last juicy detail before the game’s launch? Did Santa Sakurai full fill everyone’s wishes? Let’s take a look.
3 New Characters
- Ken – Well, we couldn’t really have Ryu without his better half, right? That’s like Mario without Luigi. Ken thus joins Smash Ultimate as Ryu’s Echo Fighter.
- Incineroar – By popular demand, the Gen 7 fire starter evolution Incineroar joins the battle, accompanying the ever-growing Pokémon list that includes Greninja, Pikachu, and Pokémon Trainer. This wild cat packs a mean punch!
- Piranha Plant – Yeah, I thought it was a joke too, but apparently Smash is anyone’s game. No character is too silly to join, especially if it gets a laugh out of Mr. Sakurai. Besides, every Smash game to my knowledge has had a so-called “joke character”. Nevertheless, Piranha Plant looks to be one vile plume as it has more than a few tricks up its leaves.
Unlike Ken and Incineroar though, Piranha Plant won’t be available at launch, but will instead be a free DLC character, that you can get by either buying the game digitally, or by registering your physical copy of the game before January 31st, 2019. After this time, he will be available for purchase.
Spirits & Assist Trophies
In place of Collectible Trophies, a new concept called Spirits has been introduced. Characters who have “lost their bodies”, that you can then collect, level up, and add to your fighters to make them stronger and give them special properties.
It also seems like Nintendo has heard my own personal prayers… well, to some extend at least, as Yuri Kozukata from the latest Project Zero game, will lend a helping hand with her spiritual camera, along with the following characters:
- Isaac from Golden Sun
- Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- Thwomp from Super Mario
- Spring Man from Mega– err I mean ARMS
- Wily from Mega Man
- Flies & Hand from Mario Paint
- Tiki from Fire Emblem Awakening
- Vince from the Art Academy Series
- Guile from Street Fighter (I guess he didn’t want Ryu and Ken to have all the fun)
- Akira from Virtua Fighter in all his 32-bit glory
Adding to a total of 59 Assist Trophies in all!
DLC – Five Secret Characters
When Incineroar was announced to be the “last” fighter to be revealed, the Direct chat was in an uproar (no pun intended, I swear), but Sakurai later revealed what many have theorized ever since Super Smash Bros. Wii U introduced the concept. They will in fact be adding more fighters after the game’s launch, 5 in total, that they will begin working on from scratch, meaning no Echo fighters! Each character will be sold separately at $5.99 with 1 stage and multiple music tracks to accompany it. Or you can get the Fighters Pass at $24.99 and save yourself a couple bucks.
The Adventure Begins
Sadly absent from Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS was a dedicated story mode. We are happy to report then, that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will indeed feature an epic quest for you to embark on, alongside all of your favourite Nintendo characters. Not much is specifically known about how it plays, but we did get a very epic opening cinematic!
…and much much more!
This final Smash Direct was packed full of delicious content, new modes and settings, and there is no doubt that this will indeed be the most ultimate iteration of Smash we have ever gotten. We here at SwitchWatch, much like all of you we imagine, cannot wait to get our itchy hands on this game that will truly be a celebration of all things gaming.
That said, there is only little over a month to go now, so please stay tuned for our upcoming review of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate when it launches on December 7th! We may even have some bonus content after it launches…